Alleviate Your Tooth Pain with a Root Canal
When patients hear the term “root canal,” they often cringe. The reality is that a root canal is a routine endodontic procedure that helps to rid you of any persistent tooth pain. At Highlands Ranch Dental Group, we have an in-house endodontist, which is a type of dentist who specializes in saving teeth through procedures that involve the nerve and root of the teeth.
When is a Root Canal Recommended?
Your dentist will let you know when you may need a root canal, but the following list includes some common indicators that you might be a good candidate for the procedure.
- You are experiencing persistent, intense tooth pain, especially when putting pressure on the area.
- Your teeth are extra sensitive to hot and cold temperatures.
- You are noticing swelling or tenderness near a tooth that is bothering you.
- You are noticing a darkening of a tooth.
The Root Canal Procedure
Because of the routine natures of root canals, many dentists handle the procedure in a regular office. In some more serious cases, an endodontist may handle the procedure.
The root canal process generally follows these steps:
- X-rays are taken to assess the problematic tooth or teeth.
- The dentist will numb the area with a local anesthetic to make the patient more comfortable.
- The dentist makes an opening in the tooth or crown and cleans out any decayed pulp.
- The dentist will fill or seal the hole. In some cases, the tooth is left open to drain before it is filled.
Schedule a Highlands Ranch Root Canal
Don’t spend time going to multiple offices, when you can have all of your dental problems treated in our comprehensive office. Our on-staff dentists can complete a consultation to determine whether or not you may need a root canal. Plus, our endodontist can provide a second opinion and handle the procedure right in our office. Call our office at 720-439-2984 or fill out an appointment request form to schedule an appointment today!