People who have healthy smiles tend to have diets that are rich in calcium. Since 99% of your body’s calcium is stored in your bones and teeth, it makes sense that this nutrient is an essential part of your diet, especially if you want to keep your pearly whites at their healthiest.
But how much is enough? What should you eat to fulfill your daily calcium requirements, and how much? We answer all of your calcium questions below.
How Much Calcium Do I Need?
There isn’t a one-size-fits-all answer to this question. However, it is true that all of us need to eat calcium every day. Adults need it to maintain strong teeth and bones and ward off osteoporosis, while younger people need it to build strong teeth and bones in their bodies.
Find your category on the list below to learn the daily calcium needs for you and your family:
- Pregnant and Nursing Mothers 19 or Older: 1,000 mg
- Pregnant and Nursing Mothers Younger Than 19: 1,300 mg
- Older Adults (51+): 1,200 mg
- Adults (19-50): 1,000 mg
- Older Children and Teenagers (9-18): 1,300 mg
- Young Children (4-8): 800 mg
- Babies and Very Young Children (0-3): 500 mg
What Foods are Good Sources of Calcium?
In order to ensure that you’re getting enough calcium in your diet, review our list of calcium-rich foods and try to incorporate them into your daily meals and snacks.
Most people associate foods high in calcium with dairy products, but this isn’t your only option. Choose your favorite foods from the list below, and try adding them into your diet for a boost of calcium:
- Kale: 101 mg per cup
- Okra: 82 mg per cup
- Broccoli: 86 mg per 2 cups
- Collard Greens: 268 mg per cup
- Edamame: 98 mg per cup
- 1% Milk: 305 mg per cup
- Greek Yogurt: 187 mg per most single-serving containers
- Cheddar Cheese: 202 mg per slice
- White Beans: 63 mg per half cup
- Almonds: 75 mg in 23 whole almonds
- Sardines: 351 mg per 3.75-ounce can
- Oranges: 74 mg per large orange and 27 mg per cup of orange juice
- Canned Salmon: 232 mg per half can
- Tofu: 434 mg per half cup
If you need some recipes for inspiration, this list is a good place to start!