If you are suffering from tooth pain, you will most likely need an evaluation from a specialized doctor known as an endodontist. These doctors are trained to focus on tooth pain and work to relieve internal tooth problems through a variety of procedures.
Do I Need to See an Endodontist?
It is common to visit an endodontist if you experience pain due to pressure (chewing) or for a root canal procedure. Other reasons include:
- Discoloration of a tooth
- Tenderness or swelling in the gums near a bothersome tooth
- Teeth sensitivity to hot and cold
Root Canal Treatment
There is a negative stigma around root canals; however, 90% of the time these procedures alleviate your pain.
A root canal procedure consists of four simple steps:
- Your endodontist will take x-rays to assess the damage of your tooth.
- A local anesthetic will be administered to numb the area around your tooth.
- A small incision will be made above your tooth to remove decayed pulp.
- Depending on your situation, the endodontist may leave the tooth open to drain before filling and sealing, or they may fill immediately.
What other Procedures Do Endodontists Offer?
- Pulp Vitality Testing: This treatment indicates if a root canal is necessary by diagnosing the overall health of the pulp, or nerve, of your tooth.
- Endodontic Retreatment: Roughly 10% of the time a root canal is unsuccessful due to improper healing or a blocked canal. In this case, your endodontist will remove the canal filling and take a second look.
- Apicoectomy: This procedure, also known as an end resection surgery, is used to remove further decay and inflamed tissue if root canal therapy was not successful.
Schedule an Appointment with an Endodontist
At Highlands Ranch Dental Group, we are dedicated to your comfort, which is why we provide endodontic services with our partner, Colorado Endodontic Group. Our dentists work closely with these doctors so you can receive attentive, specialized care.
Need to visit us right away? We offer emergency dental care and sedation options, so that you don’t have to suffer through the pain. Contact us today by calling (720) 439-2984 or schedule and appointment online.